Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mushroom House Pin Cushion




A few months ago, my little niece started sewing. My sister, her mom, doesn't sew at all so for Christmas I put together a little sewing kit for my niece. I had such fun going through the sewing shop and picking up little things - pins, fabric markers, scissors, a tape measure, trims, and a few fabrics. On top of the store-bought items, I thought it would be cute to make her a little pin cushion. She is quite into fairies, so when I came across this tutorial, I knew it would be perfect for her.

The tutorial includes a pattern, but I wanted my completed pin cushion to be quite small, so I scaled the pattern down a bit. Once I got all of the pieces cut out, I sewed the top of the mushroom together with my sewing maching, then I sewed on the little spots by hand.


Next up was the base. I was so excited to make this part. It was all done by hand, so while it took a little bit longer than I had anticipated, I love how it turned out in the end. Here it is with just a door and windows.


But add some flowers and vines and it is so super cute!


I am pretty new to embroidery, so I kept looking up how to do stitches and how to make French knots. I think I could make them in my sleep after doing all of those.


Once the base was ready, I sewed it to the mushroom cap and put some stuffing in. Once it was about half full, I added rice to the bottom to weigh it down a bit. Finally I sewed on the bottom and it was ready to go.

 
I love how tiny and sweet it is. I have no idea if fairies live in mushrooms, but I would like to imagine a sweet, little, pink fairy floating in and out of that door. 
 

I got the sweetest thank you card from my niece a week or so ago. She apparently appreciated the "design and creativity" - what a cutie!!



No comments:

Post a Comment