Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Cheesecake with Fruits (Again)




Over the weekend, we had a house full of guests. Y invited some of his work friends and their families over for lunch and to just hang out. We ended up with 17 people! There was no way I was going to make lunch for 17 (we ordered pizza instead), but I figured I could certainly handle a side dish (roasted root vegetables) and dessert. I asked Y what he wanted for dessert and he decided on cheesecake. With that many people, however, I figured I would need two cheesecakes. I made one regular and one chocolate, which I'll post about on Friday, probably.

If you've followed my blog for a while, you will know that I have made plenty of cheesecakes, each of them only slightly different. I have done a cheesecake with fruit topping at least two other times. The only real different is in how I do the fruits on top. I always use the same recipe. It is followed for the most part. The only differences are: the crust, I just smash up cookies and press them into the bottom of the tin, the topping, I don't make a sauce, and I halve the recipe instead of doing the full one.

 
Once the batter was all ready, I made the water bath, as instructed. I think I have mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. I really do recommend the water bath. It is kind of a pain and takes longer to bake, but (!) the top always ends up so beautiful.


Look at how perfect it is - no cracks or bubbles.


Once it was cooled, I chopped up some strawberries into rounds and slightly layered them around the outside.


I alternated between strawberries and defrosted blueberries until the whole cake was covered.


For the glaze I put 1/4 cup of orange marmalade into a pan with a tablespoon of water.


I heated it up until it was nice and melted.


Then I strained out the orange peel, reserving the liquid in a small bowl.


I put the liquid back into the pan and heated it until it thickened a bit.


Finally I brushed it over the fruits and chilled it until it was ready to serve, which ended up being a few hours. As I mentioned above, we had 17 people in total - there were a total of 10 adults, one nine-year old, three three-year olds, two one-year olds and T. I cut this cheesecake into 12 pieces and it was gone in about 5 minutes. I got two of my most favorite compliments ever on it - one husband asked me to tell his wife the recipe and a different husband didn't believe that I made it, he thought it was store-bought. Another successful cheesecake in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment