Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Cheesecake Pops




Last week, I wrote all about K's 3rd birthday party - the race, the pinata, the cookies and of course the cake. The last sweet treat I made for the party were cheesecake pops. While I like cake pops, I often feel like something is kind of missing or just not quite right with them. When I saw the recipe for cheesecake pops, however, I thought maybe this was the change that I need in a cake pop.


You start by making a crustless cheesecake. I imagine most cheesecake recipes would work for this, but I followed the recipe just in case.


Mine browned a bit too much on top, but I just chopped that bit off and then started rolling.


The recipe says to use a tablespoon to form the balls, but I thought that would be too big for my liking. I used a half-tablespoon and then decided it was a tad small. In the end, I settled on a heaping half-tablespoon of cake for each ball. This meant that they weren't perfectly uniform, but I tried to get them as close as possible.

 
Using white and yellow candy melts, I coated the balls and let them dry standing up. The candy melts were vanilla flavored. The vanilla paired with the lemony cheesecake was just perfect. In my book, these are far superior to regular cake pops!
 
 
They were quite a hit at the party - both the kids and the parents really enjoyed them. The only issue is that I don't have a good way to display them. I ended up wadding up some tissue paper, putting it in the botttom of a cup and then putting the cheesecake pops in, but it was top-heavy and one time during the party the whole cup fell over when a mom went to take one out! Whoops!! Some of the pops landed in the spinach dip. Don't worry - they didn't go to waste. We just wiped them off and the few of us that witnessed the fall ate the few that ended up in the dip.
 
K's party was over a week ago now, yet he still talks about it. He told me it was his "favorite Shinkansen party ever." I love him. I wonder what he will be in to next year. Heaven help me if his preferences for trains don't change much over the next year. I'm about out of train party ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment