Thursday, May 30, 2013

Bento Thursday - Chick Magnet




It was bento day for K at school today*! Last night we talked about what he wanted for his bento. I have a few bento books, so we looked at those and he decided on chick onigiris and a chick egg. K despises furikake, so the onigiri were just with salt. The faces were made of nori eyes and the end of a sausage for the beak. The chick egg was a rolled, Japanese-style omelet, the face was also made of nori and sausage - original, I know. He also requested sweet potato, spinach, cucumber and apples. I thought it was a lot of food for him, but when he got home he was so excited to tell me that he ate everything!

 
 
As per usual, Y's bento was pretty lame. Most of it was leftovers from the previous nights' dinners, along with a few cherry tomatoes thrown in for good measure. I also made him onigiri, but as Y actually likes furikake, they had salmon furikake mixed in the rice with flaked salmon and mayonaisse in the middle.
 
*In my last post, I wrote about how K was having a really difficult time with school. This week, however, he did awesome. He cried all weekend about having to go. Monday morning rolled around and I expected HUGE tears, but was met with just a bit of whining and a voice on the verge of tears. He held it together, came home, and said he had so much fun.
 
Yesterday we talked the entire day about school and why it is important that he go and mama stay home. I reassured him I would be waiting for him at the bus and that we could get some ice cream afterwards. He didn't cry, but didn't seem all that pleased. This morning, he jumped out of bed and was ready to go! He didn't cry at all, and generally seemed excited to be headed to school. Weird. And awesome. He came home and told me about all the fun he had. What a relief. Let's hope next week continues like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment