Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Typhoon Days





What to do on a rainy, typhoon-y day? If you were in our house this morning, you would have made tunnels with every blanket I could find and crawl through to house. Then you would have gotten your toes stuck inside the holes of a crochet blanket.




While I was busy making lunch, you might have played with K and his container of rice.




Who knew drawing shapes and burying trains could lead to (literally) hours of fun?!?




Then you would have taken a nap, woken up and baked cookies!!




K loves helping me mix stuff and pour ingredients into bowls, so I figured it'd be a perfect activity for the afternoon.




I wanted to find a semi-healthy cookie recipe and found loads that need ingredients that I've never seen in this country. Then I came across one that was totally doable, without even leaving the house!! And the Chewy Caramel Cookie was born.

I followed the recipe, in terms of ingredients, pretty closely but used just 2 tablespoons of each butter and oil and 1/4 cup of unsweetened, homemade applesauce. After adding in the dry ingredients - including whole wheat flour - the dough is supposed to be stiff enough to roll. Mine certainly was not, maybe because of all the applesauce?!?




Instead of rolling, I dropped teaspoons of the dough onto a cookie sheet and baked as directed.




I thought they wouldn't spread too much, but I was wrong. We ended up with some mutants, but no problems other than that!!




The cookies are really quite nice. They are a bit crispy on the outside and chewy inside, with a caramel flavor and just a hint of the whole wheat taste. The recipe ended up making TONS of cookies - I'd probably half the recipe next time. Off to the freezer for about 3/4 of these guys.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment