Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chocolate Cheesecake with Salted Caramel Sauce





Yesterday we went to a friend's house and I brought her daughter a bag. I also brought something for the mom.

Ages ago she told me that she really likes cheesecake, so cheesecake it was. As this was to be my third cheesecake for the month, with more coming next week, I wanted to do something different. I came across an Emeril recipe for Chocolate Cheesecake that sounded delicious. As I love salted caramel with my chocolate, I couldn't pass up the chance to make caramel sauce yet again.

When I went to make the cheesecake, I realized that the only chocolate wafer cookies we have here are Oreos. Not bad, but maybe also not your typical cheesecake crust. I figured the cream would hold it together and Oreos are sweet enough, so I didn't use any butter or sugar in the crust. I just crushed them up and pressed them into the bottom of a cake tin.





Making the cheesecake filling was really straight-forward, although it ended up looking and tasting like mousse (what?? Of course I lick the beaters!!).




There was a lot of filling, but I didn't think it would rise too much and since there were no fruits to go on top this time, I filled the pan quite high. The cake ended up rising though - I'm lucky it didn't overflow!!




After cooling and refrigerating though, it fell back down.




While the cake was baking, I made the salted caramel sauce. I could watch the bubbles from the sugar and water for ages. Some people like babbling brooks. I like bubbling sugar.




Soon after it started to turn amber, I turned off the heat, added the cream and salt and that was done.




All I had left to do was cut a few pieces, drizzle some caramel sauce on top, and eat!




It was (obviously) super rich and it's possible the caramel sauce was overkill, but that won't stop me from pouring it on my next piece!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Can you send me the recipe? I've never made a cheesecake from scratch! Do you have any peanut butter cheesecake recipes too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Stephanie,

      Thanks for the comment. Cheesecake is totally easy! The link to the Chocolate Cheesecake is in the second paragraph. Just click on "Chocolate Cheesecske" and Bob's your uncle!!

      For some reason the link to the caramel sauce isn't working. Here's the recipe that I always use though. Unfortunately since I'm on my phone, I can't paste the link in here either. But just google "Sweetapolita Sweet & Salty" and it should pop up. The recipe for the caramel says to cook it until it is an amber color. Be careful! I find that if I let it get amber, it turn rock hard when it cools. I let it get a light yellow, then add the cream and salt. I'd prefer to have it a bit too saucy rather than hard. If it does get hard, just warm it in the micro for a few seconds and it will soften up.

      Good luck! Let me know how it goes ;)

      Delete
    2. And sorry, but no peanut butter cheesecake recipes here. Although I have a peanut butter post that will hopefully go up tonight!!

      Delete