Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lion Bento


K and I arrived in the US nearly a week ago today. Everything has been just perfect! The weather is unreal (I've had to go shopping for new short sleeved shirts for K, as I only brought one), K loves my parents and they adore him, and I've been taking a bit of a break from all the normal house-things that I usually have to waste so much time on. As a bonus, K slept through the night last night - I don't want to jinx it, but could his jet lag be over already!?!?

During the days my parents have to go to work, but they are both home early, so it's all good. My mom works in a kindergarten and takes her lunch to work each day. I decided that while I am here, I will do up a bento (lunch) for her every once in a while. I even brought a few goodies from Japan to help me out.


Last week I made the cutest bunny bento with a bunny-shaped hard-boiled egg and "some bunny loves you" cut out of my mom's PB&J (I totally should have made a cheese sandwich - ha!). It was adorable. I didn't let her see it while I was making it and she kept it a surprise until her lunch time. She obviously got a kick out of it. My mom took it to show her friend, who took a photo of it, while the others just had a good laugh. (For the next few days, she had people asking to see her lunch, but I only made her that one last week.) I took a photo with my mom's ipad, but for some reason, it won't let me email that photo to my email so that I can upload it on here. You'll just have to take my word that it was adorable.

Today's bento was a cute little lion. The mane was pasta (sauce on the side) and his face was an egg with nori (seaweed) features. I tried to make the broccoli look like little trees with a mini lion hiding behind them. This one was a surprise from my mom as well, but just like the other, she thought it was cute.

I hope to make a few more bentos for the mama in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

2 comments: